Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Making Our Way to Chile - The Travel Day

The hours, weeks, and months of planning and researching our trip to Chile had finally come to an end. It was early Wednesday Morning and we were ready to leave for our adventure. We woke up around 5:30 a.m. and waited for the cab to pick us up. The cab was super quick and before we knew it, the car was packed up and we were on our way to the bus station. 

We decided to take Concord Coach Line to the Boston Airport. They offer service to the airport and drop you off at the terminal you are flying out of. It cost $28 per adult and Gabrian was half price at $14. It was well worth the money to be dropped off at our terminal. When we arrived we put our bags at the front of the line to hold our place and joined them about 20 minutes before it was time for our bus to leave. While waiting, Gabrian ran into a friend and their family on their way to Disney!

Gabrian and I were able to grab the front seat of the bus. The best part of this seat other than the view was it had an electrical outlet. I was able to give the phone and iPad and extra charge before the big trip began. The bus ride took about 2 hours and we were dropped off at the A Terminal (yay for being the first stop!). Once they pulled out our bags, we found a cart ($4) and loaded it up with the bags.

We grabbed some tags and started to fill them out for our luggage. We had done online check-in but we still wanted to talk to a gate agent because we were hoping to get on an earlier flight out.

We worked with a wonderful Gate Agent and she was able to get us on an earlier flight. She wasn't able to assign us seats so we had to wait until we got to the gate. We handed over our bags and headed over to get through security.

We had a long haul to get to our gate (we seemed to always have the absolutely furthest away gate for every flight). 

After finding our gate, we got a quick bite to eat before our flight left.

Once the Gate Agents showed up we were able to get assigned to our seats. We ended up in the very last row of the plane. We were so grateful to get on the earlier plane that we would have taken a seat in the bathroom if we had to.

We weren't on the flight long and Gabrian managed to pass out.


He managed to rouse himself when the snacks came around.

It was a short 2 hour flight to Atlanta. We made our way to the train so we could get to the International Terminal.

Once we made it to our terminal we were ready for lunch. I was super impressed that they had a Piano Player in the Food Court.

After lunch we made our way to our Gate which was super far away!

We smartened up for the boarding on this flight to Peru and joined the other families with small children and pre-boarded.  This made getting on the plane so much more relaxing. We were excited to see this plane because it was so roomy and spacious.

We liked this flight because it felt like they were feeding us every 20 minutes. On top of that we got our own personal televisions that had tons of movies and tv shows on it.

We were almost sad to get off this flight when we arrived in Peru since it had so much fun entertainment. We had to get our bags and head through Immigration since we had booked our next flight separately with LAN Airlines.

We were able to check in our bags with LAN Airlines right away and it was nice to not have to lug them around. We decided to go stand out on the sidewalk outside the airport so we could feel that we had been to Lima, Peru (I know that was a total cheat and I do hope at some point we can get back to actually visit the country). The temperature outside was so beautiful and we so wish that there had been benches outside so we could have enjoyed it for awhile.

We checked out the food court and got a snack to kill some time (I realize that most of this post is about how many times we could eat in a day...don't judge).

Once we were done with our snack we headed back through Immigration and headed towards our gate. We had about 5 hours until our flight to Santiago left so we found some benches to try to catch some sleep.

They actually weren't too bad and we were able to sleep for a few hours. We were finally ready for our final leg of the journey. We boarded the plane and we were on our way to Santiago.

We got fed again on this flight! We were impressed that we were served actual silverware. It was super classy!!

The last flight went fine other than the person in front of me managed to put his seat practically in my lap. It got very uncomfortable towards the end. But it didn't matter because before long we had arrived in Santiago. Everything went fast like a blur and before we knew it we were walking through the gates and our family was waiting to greet us at the airport. It was so nice to see them waiting for us. We had hugs all around, took money out of an ATM, and we were on our way to our Hotel.

Stay tuned to find out what happens next on our adventure in Chile!